Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Myth of German Punctuality

Ok, maybe it isn't a myth. I just seem to have bad luck with trains. More than 50% of the time I've used the Deutsche Bahn, my train has been late. Today was pretty ridiculous. I still had a few days left on my "German Rail Pass" that I bought to travel around over my break, so I decided to go to Hamburg. My train was delayed by more than an hour...both ways. On the bright side, my main goal was to get some reading done, and that was a success. I really enjoy public transportation, because it gives you time. You can read, or journal, or just think. It's wonderful. I've also found that I can often concentrate better on a train than elsewhere. It could get interesting if I ever have to write a doctoral thesis...

Hamburg was pleasant. There is apparently a really big cathedral there. I didn't find it. Frankly, I didn't feel like figuring out where it was after my extended train ride. Instead I found the Elbe River and meandered along its banks. Multicolored sailboats danced about in the light breeze. It was gorgeous. I wish I hadn't forgotten my camera.

Lesson learned for today: Reading a second language for several consecutive hours gives one a nasty headache.

2 comments:

  1. I love train time too!!! I love to just veg out or read or do homework or eavesdrop...err, work on my Spanish listening skills.
    and, did you eat hamburg in Hamburg?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul! Enjoyed your latest posts. Glad you've had the opportunity to travel around some, except for the trains - I expect this week is about the planes not flying. The trains must be mobbed. Some fun reading sounds like a good idea - working the language without the distraction of "heavy ideas." ;-)

    ReplyDelete